Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Latex casting

Sounds a bit edgy but its all mundane stuff I'm afraid. In the last two weeks I've been experimenting in my spare time by making my first ever mold. Using a small polystyrene box and an old model of a stone wall I made from modelling putty, I applied fluid latex (sometimes called rubber milk) in layers until I had built up the mold.

Once the polystyrene box was removed, casting could begin and I have now made ten sections of wall. Here is an image of the first couple along side the original and a 28mm figure for reference. The latex cost about 50 kroner for a 250ml bottle and I've used about 75% of it. I think I'll try making my own slate roof sections next time.

I've also been using modelling putty to make sand bag positions for my -ROCKETMAN III- games, but these are far simpler to make and less interesting. The one on the left is only half made.

6 comments:

Cyan said...

Nice job on the walls. :)

Christoph frequently works with latex and plaster to build molds for casting acrylic. His use of it has mostly been to reproduce some of the rarer parts of an old Toyota Supra that he's restoring and modifying, but he's also played with it artistically.

I've recently been messing around with paperclay. I'm not sure how similar that is to modelling putty, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. I haven't figured out the best way to seal it, though. I bought a type of varnish that you mix with acrylic paint, but I haven't tried it out yet.

moif said...

Thanks.

Does Christoph have any work online? I seem to recall you once posted something at Barscape ages ago...

I've no idea what paper clay is. Is it made of paper?

Cyan said...

A large portion of his wire work can be seen here:

http://www.fadingworld.com/gallery/christoph

The photo quality is better on some pictures than others, but it should give you an idea of what he does. Unfortunately my favourite piece "second skin" is currently without any photographs. If we get some, I'll be sure to share.

Yes, paper clay is made of paper. It's not unlike polymer clay...perhaps a bit more pulpy feeling, but it's easy to work with as long as you add water.

moif said...

I hadn't seen most of those. They're great. I particularly like the nude. Its very ephemeral!

Cyan said...

I like his nudes, as well. "Second Skin" is, in my opinion, his best nude, and I need to get some pictures of it. Proportionally, it's very pleasing to me, and it has extra, hinged panels (in copper) that open up, hence the title "Second Skin."

moif said...

Test