Thursday, June 01, 2006

Sea trials

So, yesterday Oleg and I ran our first multi vessel trial of the OVZ naval skirmish rules. Unfortunately the trial was somewhat constarined by a lack of time (we were gabbing away about politics for two hours before ever we sat at the table) but in the half hour or so we had left, I got a distinct feel for the differences between the new naval system and the previous DBA system. With Napoleonic naval elements the emphasis is on concentrating broadsides and having the weather gage. Ships move in lines and have to get into the most advantagous position viv-a-vis the wind. This is a bit difficult due to the size of the table upon which the game is taking place (a true battle might be fought over a very long stretch of sea) but certainly possible.

So far so good. I shall look forward to the next, hopefully more comprehensive trial game!

Oleg also brought along his half built model galley and here is an image that compares its size to my Nao. Both models are made for 28mm skirmish games and as a consequence are adapted to the 28mm figures rather than to any accurate idea of actual vessels. Having said that though they are pretty close to the mark and I'm looking forward to fighting a skirmish battle on this scale! Unfortunately I have not been working on my model for a while now since I have gotten side tracked on a painting of a Samurai inspired by the film 'Throne of Blood' by Akira Kurosawa.

No comments: