Saturday, June 10, 2006

Germany 2006

I was prepared to cheer on the English side, but felt oddly indifferent when the national anthems were being played. Usually that English anthem makes my heart swell with recollections of my childhood and a feeling of fraternity with the Brits, but, and I don't know why, ever since Beckham became Captain, I've not felt the old glow of pride.

Frankly, I think the guy is over rated. In fact I'm sure he is so popular only because he married that Spice Girl because he is an appalling football player in my experience (granted I've never seen him play a league match... or even score a goal now I think about it). Anyway, the game was boring. I'd have had more fun watching a bunch of school kids playing than the 92 minute somnambulation that was Englands opening world cup match. Why, even their goal was an own goal gift rather than any evidence of inspired playing by an English team member.

Later I watched the Sweden Vs Trinidad and Tobago game and although no goals were scored, I was far more entertained. The Swedes and the Trini-Tobagans had far more verve and energy than either England or Paraguay.

4 comments:

bucket said...

Beckham is also popular because he is so beautiful!

the ref completely ruined that game. he called ever sniffle or mistep, that's why it got so boring it was the refs game and he was a BORE. He also had a thing in for Crouch and as the game wore on Crouch became more and more afraid to even approach the ball.

You didn't watch the Ivory Coast game? They gave up a war to come play, they were fighters but Argentina is such a good team.

moif said...

You really think so?

You're probably right. I think its his beauty and his glamorous wife that makes him so prominent because it sure as hell isn't his talents on the field as far as I can see.

The Danish commentators had a field day with the Mexican ref as well. They did a quick character assassination in the half time break, explaining his faults at length and how he's wanted to be a career ref since he was 7 years old.

bucket said...

the commentary here sucks, in fact one of the idiots didn't even say Beckham's name right! Then he even announced the game was Germany vs. Paraguay. How can you confuse Germany with England? ugh.

moif said...

Thats like confusing suger and salt!