Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Demonstration!

I heard a drumming and shouting and I looked out the window to find a few thousand kids demonstrating along Nørre Allé.

The banner at the head of the column reads 'Save Group Exams' and I gathered from the chants and cheers that this was a student demonstration against the
governments plan to reform the examination system by getting rid of group exams. I don't know much about this matter since I haven't been paying too much attention to it. The banner at the rear of the column reads 'Bertel, now its enough. We're rising up in a flock" (It rymes in Danish). Bertel is Bertel Haarder, the Education and Church Minister. I noted that there was only one policeman attending the demonstration. He followed slowly on his motorbike. Amongst the students were some wearing arm bands who were herding the rest along and making sure they allowed the traffic to pass in the opposite lane. It was all very ordered. Some cars set off a honking as they passed, and whether or not it was a sign of solidarity or provocation, they were all met with universal cheers that with the drums banging and the chanting put me in mind of a medieval army.

No comments: